Library Code of Conduct
The Howard-Tilton Memorial Library is the main library of Tulane University. The library is a place for learning and scholarly reflection. The library staff and administration strive to provide such a place for our users. To this end, library users are asked to follow the Library Code of Conduct. Please refer to the library web site for more information concerning this code.
We expect our library users to:
- Follow all library policies and procedures including the food and drink, cell phone and computer use policies.
- Exit the building when prompted by announcements either at closing or during fire alarms.
- Engage with library staff in a respectful and courteous manner.
- Treat other library users with respect. Avoid loud conversations, disruptive behavior, and use of the library for non-academic or non-research purposes.
- Respect the rights of other users to access library materials. Deliberate misplacement of library materials, or the deliberate postponement of returning library materials, is prohibited.
- Care for library books and other materials properly. Library materials should not be written on or defaced in any way. Users are responsible for the care of items checked out to them.
- Care for library equipment, furniture, and facilities. Leave library furniture in its place.
- Never leave personal items or library laptops unattended. The library is not responsible for lost or stolen personal items.
- Wear shoes and clothing while in the library.
- Refrain from wearing and/or using skates, bicycles, etc. in the building.
- Leave pets at home. Exception: service animals are permissible.
- Refrain from soliciting for any reason while on the premises.
- Never enter areas designated "staff only" without an appointment.
- Refrain from sleeping in the library.
The library also expects library users to follow all university rules and regulations as well as local, state, and federal laws:
- Smoking in the building is prohibited.
- Use, possession or storage of weapons of any kind is prohibited.
- Use, possession or distribution of any controlled substance, alcoholic beverages, or illegal drugs is prohibited.
- Lewd or obscene conduct, or sexual misconduct, is prohibited.
- The library will call Tulane University Police Department if a library user does not follow the code of conduct.
- The library will contact the Dean of Students if the library user is a student and is in violation of the Code of Student Conduct.
- The library will bill the library user for lost, missing, mutilated, defaced items, including a processing fee.
- The library will remove from the building violators of the Code of Conduct and/or revoke library privileges.